How to send text someone from your email program to their cell phone.

How to send a text message or photo from your cell phone to someone’s email address.

_____________________________________________

This blog article is brought to you by www.sundaysoftware.com. Check out our great Bible story software and Bible games for kids at www.sundaysoftware.com Neil MacQueen is a “techie-pastor” who writes about tech subjects for “Not So Techie” church staff, church volunteers, and anyone else who wants to know.

_____________________________________________

Getting content from your computer to a cell phone, or from your phone to someone’s email is not only EZ, –it can be a lifesaver.

Examples of Why It is Good To Know How:

The other day a friend EMAILED me ELABORATE DIRECTIONS to her home. Problem was, I needed those directions on my cellphone to take with me in the car. So I forwarded those emailed direction from my laptop to my cellphone. Then yesterday one of my programmers needed to have me look at a screenshot right away, but I was away from my laptop, so I told him to “email the graphic to my cellphone as a multimedia text message.” It also help to know how to get photos from your camera phone to your computer where you can photoshop them.

Here’s how you can send a TXT Message or Photo from your cellphone to an email address:

1) In your cellphone’s text message program, type the recipient’s email address into the “to:” field, type a message, then press send. That’s it!

(If including a photo, remember to attach/insert it).  Today’s cellular networks will automatically route your “txt message” to the email address.

TIP:  Since I often send cellphone photos from my cellphone to my laptop for editing, I have created a contact in my cellphone’s directory named “Email Neil” -and put neil@sundaysoftware.com as the email address, –leaving the phone number field blank in the contact directory screen. The cellphone software, sees that the phone number field is empty and uses the email address. Nice. Now all I have to do is type “neil…” in the TO: field, and it autofills the rest of my email address because that address is in my contact directory.

Here’s how to send Email or a text msg from your computer to a cellphone:

You’re going to need to know the CELL PHONE PROVIDER of the person you want to text.  i.e., Verizon, ATT, Consumer Cellular, etc. Why? Because after you type the person’s 10 digit cell number, you’re going to need to send it to their providers TEXT “gateway.”  See the list of gateway addresses below to add to the ten digit number so that  your “TO:” address looks like 1234567890@THEIRPROVIDER.com (or net).
  1. Open your email app on your phone, tablet, or computer.
  2. In the “To” field, enter the 10-digit phone number you want to text, and add the corresponding email domain to the end of it.
  3. Fill in the subject line, and compose your message.
  4. Press SEND.

So for example, if you wanted to send me a text message using your email program, you’d send an email “to:” my10digitnumber@mms.att.net — because I use ATT.

“SMS” stands for simple mail, just text. MMS is for mail you want to attach a graphic to.

• AT&T: number@txt.att.net (SMS), number@mms.att.net (MMS)
  • T-Mobile: number@tmomail.net(SMS & MMS)
  • Consumer Cellular: number@mailmymobile.net
  • Verizon: number@vtext.com (SMS), number@vzwpix.com (MMS)
  • Sprint: number@messaging.sprintpcs.com(SMS), number@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
  • XFinity Mobile: number@vtext.com (SMS), number@mypixmessages.com (MMS)
  • Virgin Mobile: number@vmobl.com (SMS), number@vmpix.com (MMS)
  • Metro PCS: number@mymetropcs.com (SMS & MMS)
  • Boost Mobile: number@sms.myboostmobile.com (SMS), number@myboostmobile.com (MMS)
  • Cricket: number@sms.cricketwireless.net (SMS), number@mms.cricketwireless.net (MMS)
  • U.S. Cellular: number@email.uscc.net (SMS), number@mms.uscc.net(MMS)

_______________________________

Below is a list of the email “gateway” addresses for different carriers.

This entry was posted in Tech Tips for Church Staff (and you) and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to How to send email from your computer to a cellphone, or send a text from your phone to an email address

1. MollyinTEXAS says:

This is rad, I’ve bookmarked this page! I always wondered: “Is there a way to text to people’s phones (besides iphones and blackberries and stuff, just REGULAR phones) and here you have an entire list of them! Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!!

2. Rani S says:

can we send email from the cellphone?

3. Marica Mahan says:

Some really prize articles on this web site , saved to fav.

4. Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task.

5. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

6. Joseph says:

I precisely wished to thank you very much all over again. I am not sure what I would’ve created in the absence of those ideas provided by you regarding my subject. It was before a very frightening problem in my position, but finding out your professional manner you treated that made me to leap over fulfillment. I will be grateful for this advice and even hope you comprehend what a great job that you are doing instructing many people thru a blog. I’m certain you have never encountered all of us.

7. Simply wanna input on few general things, The website design and style is perfect, the content is very great. “The stars are constantly shining, but often we do not see them until the dark hours.” by Earl Riney.

8. Josiah says:

You have observed very interesting details ! ps decent web site . “Formal education will make you a living self-education will make you a fortune.” by Jim Rohn.

9. ijoma glory says:

yea I got u message I will like to get a copy of it thanks

10. ijoma glory says:

how can I get in touch with you thanks

11. ijoma glory says:

hi can I get one of or sim

12. Isa Bollie says:

You are my inspiration , I have few web logs and often run out from to brand.I believe this site holds some very good information for everyone. “The expert at anything was once a beginner.” by Hayes.

13. Reuben Blade says:

What i do not realize is actually how you’re now not actually a lot more smartly-appreciated than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly relating to this topic, made me individually consider it from so many various angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested except it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great. All the time maintain it up!

14. I truly enjoy reading through on this site, it has got great content. “Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.” by Demosthenes.

15. You have noted very interesting points ! ps decent web site . “I understand a fury in your words, But not the words.” by William Shakespeare.

16. I evеry timе emailed thіs web site post page to аll my contacts,
    becaᥙѕe if likе to read it tһеn mʏ friends wilⅼ toо.